Kitchen Remodeling on a Budget—Tips for Residents in Tampa, Jacksonville, Clearwater, Sarasota, Naples, St. Petersburg, Bradenton & Beyond
After weeks, months or years of debating, you’ve finally decided to go forward with your kitchen remodeling project. Congratulations! While this can be an exciting time, it is important to stay organized and manage the amount you spend so your kitchen remodeling project is not only successful, but also affordable for you and your family.
Our team at AlliKristé has devised a few rules to help you stay within budget as you are remodeling your kitchen:
- Decide how much you want to spend on your kitchen remodeling project. On average, homeowners will spend more than $80,000 on an upscale kitchen remodel. However, ask yourself these three questions before you commit to spending anywhere near that amount.
- How much can you afford to spend? Your finances should determine this sum.
- How long are you staying in your current residence? If you said less than five years, then your kitchen remodeling project should focus on your real estate investment. But, if you plan to remain at your home for longer than five years, your improvements should center around you and your family’s comfort and style.
- Is your neighborhood upscale or modest? If you over-improve your kitchen, you will lose money when you sell your home.
- Know how your kitchen remodeling costs will be broken down. Typically, labor and cabinetry will take up the biggest portion of your budget. On average, 35 percent will go toward cabinets, 20 percent is set aside for labor, 20 percent for appliances, 10 percent for windows, 5 percent for fixtures, 3 percent is for fittings, and the last 7 percent is used on miscellaneous needs.
- Rework those percentages so you can set aside 20 percent of your budget for the unexpected. Leaving a little wiggle room will allow you to cover the surprises that will inevitably pop up during your project.
- What are your priorities? Make a list of what’s most important to you, whether it’s new cabinetry, appliances, or countertops. This way if something unexpected occurs during your kitchen remodeling job, you can make sure your top priorities are still accomplished.
- Create a budget spreadsheet. By jotting down what you’re spending you can keep track of how much you’ve spent and if you’re staying within budget. Check this spreadsheet often.
Contact AlliKristé today for a free kitchen remodeling consultation for Tampa, St. Petersburg, Bradenton, Naples, Clearwater, or beyond. No matter your budget or the extent of your project, we look forward to hearing from you.